The ideal candidate will perform Construction Engineering and Inspection services for Transpiration projects working directly with the construction managers/project managers and other responsible team members. Understand and coordinate the enforcement of various code requirements, ordinances, technical specifications and special provisions for highways, major and minor street pavement systems, water, wastewater, storm water infrastructure, traffic, Intelligent Transportation Systems, facilities, to assure conformance with plans and specifications. Perform constructability reviews of contract documents, prepare daily or weekly construction progress reports, keep track of all submittals and Requests for Information (RFI), monitoring the construction progress schedule.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintain log of field and office records; ability to read and interpret plans and specifications.
• Perform field inspections and materials testing; Verify the quality materials used for conformance with the contract, plans, and specifications.
• Able to understand/interpret engineering drawings, plans, specifications, contracts, and project documents for roadway, drainage, and/or structural highway construction.
• Participates in project-level meetings as required. Meets with client as needed. Conducts periodic staff meetings with inspectors.
• Document work activities including deficiencies and deviations from plans. Follow through to ensure that all construction deficiencies are properly documented and corrected.
• Provides status reports to PM(s) on routine basis, performs general office administration and prepares daily work report.
• Recognize that a problem exists in their area(s) of responsibility, report on the problem, and work with the contractor to achieve compliance with the plans and specification with minimal supervision.
• Performs all administrative functions associated with a project in accordance with TxDOT’s Construction Manual.
• Intimately familiar with environmental concerns related to a project and ability to monitor contractor compliance with the environmental controls.
• Familiar with contractor submittals and Requests for Information.
• Determines the priority of assignments based on critical deadlines that must be met.
• Manages multiple concurrent inspection assignments on a single project.
• Communicates effectively in writing and orally with contractors, client and staff.
• Supports and maintain the morale, welfare, professional development, training and work-life balance of all assigned staff utilizing the Company’s Character Qualities.
• Complies with all Company policies, procedures, practices, rules.
• Serves as an example of proper conduct per Company Character Qualities.
• Assumes other duties as directed by supervisor.
Education, certification and experience:
• Bachelor Degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering or a relevant field of education and experience is preferred.
• Two to five years of construction inspection experience (relevant training may be substituted for equivalent experience) , to include roadway (earthwork, base, concrete and asphalt pavement, drainage, lighting, guardrail and striping for rehabilitation/new) and bridge elements (drilled shafts, driven piles, reinforcing steel, structural concrete, and bridge decks) traffic control, environmental controls, and other items related to transportation construction projects.
• Valid Driver’s license and driving record in good standing.
• Knowledge of TxDOT construction specifications, TxDOT standard drawings, and Federal audit requirements for public construction projects.
• Knowledge of construction materials, methods and procedures.