Under direction, supervises the work of a field survey party making preliminary location, construction, property, topographic and other engineering surveys; and performs related work as required.
The Survey Party Chief is a journey level class distinguished from other engineering classes in that the Survey Party Chief is primarily responsible for the field survey party. Incumbents work with only occasional instruction or assistance. Work is reviewed upon completion and for overall results. Work involves frequent interpretation of policies, procedures and guidelines and may involve the development of recommendations consistent with directives, policies and regulations.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervises a field survey party engaged in establishing property lines as well asline and grade for new streets and other public improvements
• Makes topographic surveys and supervises a field survey party in staking out streets and grades
• Performs and checks calculations and keeps field notes and records; computes quantities
• Reviews plans and specifications related to surveying
• Ensures that the survey party observes departmental safety rules and regulations
• Makes detailed sketches to aid drafting personnel in preparation of plans and drawings
• Conducts land surveys to determine right of way lines, boundary lines, location of easements and encroachments
• Keeps abreast of current codes and regulations affecting City projects
• Attends division and department meetings as required
• Serves on various committees as appropriate
• Perform related duties as required
Education, certification and experience:
• Must possess and maintain an appropriate, valid Texas driver's license.
• Any combination of education and experience that would have provided the required knowledge and skills is qualifying.
• Equivalent to graduation from high school preferably supplemented by vocational/college coursework related to this field and three years of experience utilizing survey instruments.