The Governor has declared May 20-24, 2019 as "Texas Flood Awareness Week." Texas Flood Awareness Week (TxFAW) brings awareness to the citizens of Texas of the dangers that flooding can present. Flash flooding is the number one weather-related killer in Texas with more than 50% of all flash flood fatalities nationwide involving vehicles.
What is a flash flood? Take action! A Flash Flood is flooding that begins within 3 - 6 hours of heavy rainfall. Flash flooding occurs quickly, and catches most people off guard.
What is a flood watch? Be prepared! A Flood Watch is issued when conditions are favorable for flooding. It does not mean flooding will occur, but it is possible.
What is a flood warning? Take action! A Flood Warning is issued when the hazardous weather is imminent or already happening.
- Know if you are in a flood zone
- Identify possible routes to avoid flooded areas
- Turn on emergency alerts
- Have plenty of food and water
- In case of a power outage, have extra batteries on hand for flashlights
- Turn around, don’t drown®
- Avoid driving through flooded areas
- Follow evacuation procedures
To download your copy of the declaration, click here.
Photo credit: FEMA